Asia holds 6 of the top 10 spots for 2017.
Their annual list actually contains the top 100 most visited cities.
Here are the Top 10:
10. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 12.3 million visitors in 2017.
- Kuala Lumpur is the 10th most visited city of 2017.
- 1.7 million inhabitants (2016).
- The capitol of Malaysia.
- Kuala Lumpur is home to the tallest twin buildings in the world, the iconic Petronas Twin Towers. They dominate the modern skyline and offer a sky bridge and observation deck plus much more.
- Tourists flock to Kuala Lumpur for the multitude of eating establishments, the wide variety of shopping options, the great bars, nightclubs and lounges, the cultural diversity, relatively low costs and the scenery.
9. Shenzhen, China
- 12.6 million visitors in 2017.
- Shenzhen is the 9th most visited city in the world (2017).
- 11.9 million inhabitants (2016).
- Shenzhen borders Hong Kong to the south.
- There are over 160 rivers or channels that flow through Shenzhen.
- There are on average 106 foggy days.
- April – October is the rainy season.
- Shenzhen is home to many Chinese high tech companies.
- Home to the 4th tallest building in the world, Ping An Finance Centre
- Tourists have much to choose from for entertainment options, including China Folk Culture Village, Window of the World, Happy Valley, Splendid China, the Safari Park in Nanshan district, Chung Ying Street, Xianhu Botanical Gardens and Minsk World
- People flock to the large shopping district called Sea World.
8. New York City, USA
- 12.7 million visitors (2017).
- New York is the 8th most visited city in the world (2017).
- 8.5 million inhabitants (2016).
- Most visited city in the United States.
- Largest city in United States.
- New York is famous for it’s multitude of dining and shopping options.
- Boasts noteworthy architecture in many different forms.
- World renowned state and city parks system.
- New York is a global hub for banking and finance, retailing, world trade, transportation, tourism, real estate, new media, traditional media, advertising, legal services, accountancy, insurance, theater, fashion and the arts.
- Many historical sights.
7. Paris, France
- 14.4 million visitors (2017).
- Paris is the 7th most visited city in the world (2017).
- 2.2 million inhabitants (2016).
- The largest city in France.
- Paris is famous for its several museums and architectural landmarks.
- The Louvre was the most visited art museum in the world with 7.4 million visitors (2016).
- Notre Dame Cathedral was the top attraction in Paris during 2016 with 12 million visitors.
- Paris has the most Airbnb registered homes in the world (2017).
- There is something for everybody in Paris.
6. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 14.9 million visitors (2017).
- Dubai is the 6th most visited city in the world (2017).
- 2.9 million inhabitants (2017).
- The largest city in the UAE.
- Dubai’s iconic high-rise buildings and its world famous skyscrapers are a must-see.
- The Burj Khalifa is the worlds tallest building and calls Dubai its home.
- Dubai has emerged as the Middle East’s global business city.
- Tourism, real estate, financial services and aviation drives the economy.
- The economy in Dubai is one of the world’s fastest growing.
- Shopping, ancient and modern attractions, boutiques and jewelry shops are the most popular.
- Be sure to check out the world’s largest indoor snow park Ski Dubai
5. Macau, China
- 15.4 million visitors (2017).
- Macau is the 5th most visited city in the world (2017).
- 651,000 inhabitants (2016).
- Hong Kong is only 40 miles away.
- Macau is known as a resort city famous for its luxury hotels, casinos and tourism.
- Macau has the worlds largest gaming revenue since 2006.
- There are more than 25 historical properties in the Historic Centre of Macau.
- 16.6 million visitors (2017).
- Singapore is the 4th most visited city in the world (2017).
- 5.6 million inhabitants (2016).
- The highest percentage of millionaires live in Singapore.
- The food diversity within Singapore is cherished by tourists.
- The 2nd largest casino gambling market in the world.
- A global commerce and a finance and transport hub.
- In recent years Singapore has been promoting its arts and culture especially the performing arts.
3. London, England
- 19.2 million visitors (2017).
- London is the 3rd most visited city in the world (2017).
- 8.8 million inhabitants (2016).
- London is a leading global city in the arts, education, entertainment, commerce, finance, fashion, transportation, professional services, media, healthcare and tourism.
- Home to the world’s largest financial center, the world’s largest airport system, the world’s leading investment destination and has the largest theater audience in the world.
- Hosts many international retailers.
- London has four World Heritage Sites
- There are numerous sporting events, museums, libraries and galleries.
- London’s main entertainment and shopping district is in the West End
2. Bangkok, Thailand
- 21.2 million visitors (2017).
- Bangkok is the 2nd most visited city in the world (2017).
- 8.3 million inhabitants (2016).
- Every year Bangkok is named as one of the world’s best cities to visit, usually within the top 3.
- Wholesale and retail trade is the largest sector in the city.
- Bangkok is the economic center of Thailand.
- Historical and cultural tourist attractions include royal palaces and several museums.
- Shopping and dining options galore! Street vendors are everywhere.
- Hoppin night life scene.
- The Grand Palace and Buddhist temples are Bangkok’s most famous sites.
- Home to the largest teak building in the world, Vimanmek Mansion in Dusit Palace.
- Boat trips and cruises through the canals of Bangkok offer tourists views of everyday life and architecture.
1. Hong Kong, China
- 26.6 million visitors (2017).
- Hong Kong is the most visited city in the world (2017).
- 7.4 million inhabitants (2017).
- There are more skyscrapers in Hong Kong than any other city in the world (1223).
- Hong Kong explodes with energy the moment you arrive and never slows down.
- Countless street markets to explore.
- Be sure to take in the famous views from Victoria Peak
- Rent a “junk” boat (a type of motor boat) and cruise for leisure.
- Hong Kong has one of the worlds most significant financial centers.
- The world’s most vertical city, more people live above the 14th floor than any other place on earth.
- Don’t miss the Tian Tan Buddha, a statue weighing in at 202 tons and is referred to as the “Big Buddha.”
- There are several excellent options for hiking and many beautiful beaches to visit.
The top 10 most visited cities in the world listed above is based on international tourist arrivals that stay in the country for at least 24 hours and for a period of less than 12 months for leisure and business. Domestic and same-day (cruise) visitors are excluded from the rankings.
The rankings are calculated from September to September each year and show where the global hot spots are for tourism.
This is great information for those who want to see and experience the most popular destinations the world has to offer. But for those of us that don’t particularly find crowds and long lines appealing the rankings show you which cities to avoid.
Check out this article to see if your planned vacation destination for 2018 is on the “World’s Most Dangerous Countries” list.
Which of these cities have you visited? Which would you recommend?